Abernethy Primary - Nethy Woods
Schools Orienteering League
Round 1 of the BASOC schools league was held at Abernethy Primary School.
Tue 03rd May 2016
Type of event: Local Race-(D), Tue=O
Type of terrain: Woodland
Info updated: 04th May
Schools league results will appear prior to Round 2 at Deshar next Tuesday. Please find a friend, tell them how much fun you had at Abernethy and get them along next week! If everyone recruits just one friend it'll be even more amazing! The courses at Deshar are quite unusual in that they are on that lovely bit of open heather terrain you can see as you drive past the school - so especially well suited to new orienteers. Don't worry the cows usually in that field won't be there!
Thanks to everyone who made last night happen - kudos to Marion for the excellent courses, Kat for helping on the start, and to the brand new computing team who kept the ship afloat. Thanks also to Abernethy Primary for hosting us.
If you tried out a harder course after succeeding on e.g the Yellow, you'll see that there is no result from your second run. This is because you would have had an advantage by knowing the layout of some controls in the forest, so instead you can just compare your split times on the printout you got last night. We were really pleased to see so many of you progressing on to running harder courses last night - well done!
You should see your school appear correctly below your name - AVP (Aviemore Primary), AP, DP, CP, GP or GGS. NS means 'No School', i.e you are not taking part in the league. In some cases you'll see your club (MOR, BASOC, etc) appear instead of NS. Any errors please contact
Pre Event Info
- Nearest town: Nethybridge
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: PH2 9LA
- Lat/Lon: 57.27049,-3.64411
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking and registration is at the school.
Registration, Start & Finish
Registration from 6pm, courses close 8pm.
P4 and up welcome. You can run solo or in pairs / threes.
For experienced club members there will still be regular training on all these dates, with technical TD4/5 courses with SI timing available. Your score will count for any school which your children attend.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Adults £3 / Juniors £1.50 per event.
Minor path & vegetation updates by James Tullie March 2016.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Johannes Felter
Planner: Marion McCormick
SI Timing: Mehmet & Gemma Karatay and Jane Pottie
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Please note that if you have competed in three orienteering events and not joined an orienteering club that is a member of British Orienteering then you are not covered by our public liability insurance.
You have the option of downloading and completing this Medical form. It could be life saving if the organisers are aware of any existing medical conditions in the event of an incident. You can leave it at registration/enquires in a sealed envelope that will only be opened if required and destroyed after the event.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.