Carrbridge Primary - Ellan Wood
Schools Orienteering League
Round 3 of the BASOC Schools Orienteering League.
Could YOU orienteer for your school? Grab some friends or parents and come along. Parents' scores count for their child's school! Prizes will be presented to the winning school at the final round in Grantown.
Tue 17th May 2016
Type of event: Local Race-(D), Tue=O
Type of terrain: Woodland
Info updated: 20th May
Pre Event Info
Round 3 features the usual courses:
Yellow (1.2km / 30m climb) - Technical Difficulty 2 (along paths & tracks, the odd control away from the path)
Orange (2.5km / 40m climb) Technical Difficulty 3 (paths & tracks but with some corner -cutting and running through the forest - compass skills required)
Short Green (3.8km / 75m) Technical Difficulty 4/5 (full on navigation challenge through woodland with long distances between man-made or linear features - compass skills and experience required)
Please note there will be two starts this week - "Near Start" for Yellow & Orange which is just 300m from the school, and the "Far Start" for Short Green only. The Far Start is 1.4km away from the school. You will jog along the main road running out of Carrbridge. There is a pavement or substantial verge all the way but please beware of fast moving traffic.
All courses have the same finish, which is close to the "Near Start" and approx. 300m from the school.
- Nearest town: Carrbridge
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: PH23 3AF
- Lat/Lon: 57.28256,-3.81382
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking and registration is at the school.
Registration, Start & Finish
Registration from 6pm, courses close 7:30pm.
P4 and up welcome. You can run solo or in pairs / threes.
For experienced club members there will still be regular training on all these dates, with technical TD4/5 courses with SI timing available. Your score will count for any school which your children attend.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Adults £3 / Juniors £1.50 per event.
Paths, tracks & vegetation newly updated 2016 by James Tullie. Planner's note - (especially for Short Green course) Light green shading has been used for areas of windblow, and these are very slow going. Optimal route choices depend on using accurately mapped corridors of open forest through these areas.
Toilets will be available this week!
Contacts / Officials
Planner / organiser - Johannes Felter
SI timing - Paul Frost
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Please note that if you have competed in three orienteering events and not joined an orienteering club that is a member of British Orienteering then you are not covered by our public liability insurance.
You have the option of downloading and completing this Medical form. It could be life saving if the organisers are aware of any existing medical conditions in the event of an incident. You can leave it at registration/enquires in a sealed envelope that will only be opened if required and destroyed after the event.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.