SOL 3 warm up
An ideal warm up for the INVOC Scottish Orienteering League event at Glen Affric on the Sunday.
Sat 07th May 2016
Type of event: Local Race-(D)
Type of terrain: Forest
Info updated: 18th May
Thanks to everyone who came and big thanks to Katrina and Gav who put it on. Results now available.
Pre Event Info
- Nearest town: Dulnain Bridge
- Grid Ref: NH998248
- Postcode: PH26 3BS
- Lat/Lon: 57.30354,-3.66418
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Assembly is in Dulnain Bridge village hall. Grid Ref: NH998249
It is found next to the church on the main Carrbridge - Grantown road passing through the village. You can't miss is! (but it will be signed too). The car park is immediately behind the hall. This will fit a decent number of cars but if it fills up please park sensibly elsewhere in the village. Just over the bridge there is room for several cars next to the recycling bins.
Registration, Start & Finish
Registration from 10.30
Starts: Starts from 1100 – 1300. Courses close at 1430
It is 1km walk to the start. The route is all within 30mph limits but crosses the main road then along the side of a minor road then along a track. The route is taped. There is a pavement next to the road most, but not all of the way. The road is quiet but there is likely to be some traffic. Please take care and young children should be accompanied.
Finish: Finish is 1.3km from assembly back along a straight minor road. All within 30mph limits but with no pavement most of the way. Please take care. Again young children should be accompanied. The route back from the finish does not pass directly past the start.
|COURSE||LENGTH (km)||CLIMB (m)|
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Online entry via oentries.com
Entry on the day available.
SI timing will be used. Dibbers will be available to hire (no extra charge but replacement cost if lost)
Dulnain Wood was first mapped in spring 2014. Is is a lovely area consisting of runnable pine woodland, mostly excellent visibility with a path network. There is very little undergrowth at any time of the year. There is also an adjoining area of marshland with scattered trees. This area is beautiful with views to the Cairngorms on a good day – but it is tough! Only the green and blue visit it (and the green only dips in). The blue with be a physical test.
Map by DOLM 2014 with minor updates since. All courses A4 1:10000. Control descriptions on the map. White and yellow maps are available at assembly. All others at the start.
Toilets are available in the hall. Please leave muddy shoes outside. No metal studs in the hall. There will be soup available post race.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Katrina Mcgougan
Organiser: Gavin Miles
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Please note that if you have competed in three orienteering events and not joined an orienteering club that is a member of British Orienteering then you are not covered by our public liability insurance.
You have the option of downloading and completing this Medical form. It could be life saving if the organisers are aware of any existing medical conditions in the event of an incident. You can leave it at registration/enquires in a sealed envelope that will only be opened if required and destroyed after the event.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.