Highland Wolf Weekend
The final part of our WOLF is SOL7, the last event in the CompassPoint Scottish Orienteering League, at Inshriach.
Sun 20th Oct 2013
Type of event:
Info updated: 29th Dec
Pre Event Info
Highland Wolf Weekend
PreO solution is now available for download via the main Highland WOLF page; many thanks to Anne Hickling for putting it on.
SI-Cards 10 & 11
These will work, all our units have the latest firmware (580)
The Highland WOLF closes on Sunday 20th October with SOL 7 at Inshriach - surely the most rewarding and enjoyable forest in the UK! Map updated summer 2013.
- Nearest town: Kincraig
- Grid Ref: NH857032
- Postcode: PH21 1NU
- Lat/Lon: 57.10831,-3.88647
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
From Loch Insh Watersports, near Kincraig, turn left (northeast) onto the B970 and continue for approx. 1 mile, over Feshie Bridge, then turn right into narrow road signed “Gliding Club”. After approx. 1 mile park in field on left. Please proceed with care along this narrow road.
If you are bringing a campervan (coach built type) please email the organiser by Thursday 17th October.
Pre-O: the location for this is between Feshiebridge and the SOL7 car park. More information will be available in the final details.
Registration, Start & Finish
Registration: 10:00 - 12:00
Starts: 10:30 - 12:30 (start is 10min walk from car park)
Notes: courses close 15:00
Full range of colour-coded courses allocated to age classes as per SOL rules.
Course lengths (subject to final controlling)
Black: 11.6km, 340m climb, 26 controls
Brown: 9.2km, 260m climb, 18 controls
Short Brown: 7.9km, 235m climb, 15 controls
Blue: 6.9km, 200m climb, 11 controls
Short Blue: 5.1km, 200m climb, 15 controls
Green: 4.4km, 160m climb, 12 controls
Short Green: 3.3km, 140m climb, 8 controls
Light Green: 3.1km, 130m climb, 11 controls
Orange: 2.1km, 100m climb, 10 controls
Yellow: 1.4km, 80m climb, 11 controls
White: 1.5km, 50m climb, 9 controls
The Wild Highlands Wildlife String Course will be located in the car park field.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Fees: BOF Member - 21 years of age or older £11.00
Non BOF Member - 21 years of age or older £13.00
20 years of age or younger and Students £5.00
Senior White/Yellow/Orange/Lt Green £5.00
Entry on day will be limited and subject to £2 surcharge
Online closing date 13 Oct.
Entry: Online and on day
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Gavin Miles
Organiser: Lynne Walker/Hilary Quick
Controller: Douglas Murray (MOR)
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Please note that if you have competed in three orienteering events and not joined an orienteering club that is a member of British Orienteering then you are not covered by our public liability insurance.
You have the option of downloading and completing this Medical form. It could be life saving if the organisers are aware of any existing medical conditions in the event of an incident. You can leave it at registration/enquires in a sealed envelope that will only be opened if required and destroyed after the event.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.