Highland Wolf Weekend
WOLF (Weekend of Orienteering in Lovely Forests) kicks off with a range of colour-coded courses at Loch Vaa, a delightful and challenging area just north of Aviemore.
Sat 19th Oct 2013
Type of event:
Info updated: 29th Dec
Pre Event Info
Highland Wolf Weekend
Planner Callum Scott has courses to suit most ages and abilities (the area doesn't lend itself to a White course) in this brilliantly runnable forest.
The option to run a short version of the Green course is now available. But as we have already ordered the maps people would need to use the Green map and we will set up a Short Green in the download software to identify a Short Green option and allow for the 3 missed controls.
Less than 10 minutes flat walking along a track from the car parking area.
There are no traders or food stalls, but nearby Aviemore offers plenty of both.
Toilets will be in the parking field.
Dogs: Please remember that dogs are not permitted in the car park..
String course is near the Start.
Animals: Cattle have recently been in the fields. The forest has ticks so please check yourselves carefully after your run.
Start, Finish & Controls
The start and finish are located near to the registration tent.
Yellow course maps will be issued at pre-start.
Controls and punching procedure
Start times are from 1100 to 1300. The start interval between runners on the same course will be at least 1 min. It is a punching start; due to the large number of entries start times will be allocated to avoid congestion. Do not forget to clear first before starting.
Start times should be published by Tuesday evening.
On finishing, please report to download in the tent. Courses will close at 1500. At this time, any runner not having finished should return immediately to download. All runners must download even if retiring.
SI-Cards 10 & 11
These will work, all our units have the latest firmware (580)
- Nearest town: Aviemore
- Grid Ref: NH903165
- Postcode: PH22 1QD
- Lat/Lon: 57.22788,-3.81475
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be in a field off the A95 north of Aviemore at NH903165. Take care when turning off the main road especially if you’re heading north and therefore turning right.
£1 per car will be collected.
Registration, Start & Finish
Registration: 10:30 - 12:30
Starts: 11:00 - 13:00
Notes: courses close 15:00
Blue: 6.5k, 200m climb, 21 controls
Green: 4.4k, 170m climb 15 controls
Short Green: 3.2k, 140m climb 12 controls*
Light Green: 3.8k, 110m climb, 12 controls
Orange: 3.6k, 90m climb, 9 controls
Yellow: 3.1k, 85m climb, 12 controls
* The Short Green is a late additional option, and will mean using a green map and missing out 3 controls. If you have already entered Green but would like to switch to Short Green send us an email or ask on the day.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Fees: BOF Member - 21 years of age or older £8.00
Non BOF Member - 21 years of age or older £10.00
20 years of age or younger and Students £4.00
Senior Yellow/Orange/Lt Green £4.00
Entry on day will be limited and subject to £1 surcharge.
Online closing date 13th Oct.
Entry: Online and on day
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Callum Scott
Organiser: Hilary Scott
Controller: Paul Frost
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Please note that if you have competed in three orienteering events and not joined an orienteering club that is a member of British Orienteering then you are not covered by our public liability insurance.
You have the option of downloading and completing this Medical form. It could be life saving if the organisers are aware of any existing medical conditions in the event of an incident. You can leave it at registration/enquires in a sealed envelope that will only be opened if required and destroyed after the event.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.