Schools League and Club Summer Evening Race
Deshar Primary School
The first race in our Schools League 2017, alongside our Club Summer Evening Race.
Tue 23rd May 2017
Type of event: Local Race-(D)
Type of terrain: Moorland, Woodland
Info updated: 24th May
Pre Event Info
The Schools League is back!! After a successful first year in 2016, we are hosting an orienteering schools league again in 2017 :)
There are 3 races in the series this year, with all 3 to count for individual and team prizes! Anyone is welcome to come along and have a go, make yourself known to one of the organising team if it's your first time. Courses suitable from the complete beginner to experienced.
The races will run alongside the Club Summer Evening Races, with a TD5 course that will test the best of you!
This week, the race will take place in the moorland behind Deshar Primary School. Come along between 6 and 6.30pm to register for the race and then start between 6.30 and 7.15pm. Hang around afterwards to see how you did compared to others, although results will be posted online asap after the race.
Stop press: BASOC Buffs will be available for sale £10
- Nearest town: Boat of Garten
- Grid Ref: NH924191
- Postcode: PH24 3BU
- Lat/Lon: 57.25034,-3.78422
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
At Deshar Primary School (see map).
Registration, Start & Finish
Registration will be in Deshar Primary School.
Start and Finish adjacent to the school.
Start times: 6.30 - 7.15pm (Courses close 8pm).
Yellow - suitable for beginners and primary-aged children, this course will follow paths.
Orange - next step up from the yellow - expect controls off the paths and lots of corner cutting!
Green - the ultimate challenge.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
£4/£3 non-member adult/junior
£3/£2 member adult/junior
Hired timing chips (Si-Cards, dibbers)
We provide a free loan of these if you don't have your own, but if you loose it there will be a £30 charge for it's replacement.
A lovely moorland with a runnable woodland in the south of the area. Subtle contours make for challenging navigating on the hardest course.
Toilets available at the primary school.
Simple refreshments post-race.
Not in the school buildings please.
Contacts / Officials
Organisers: Gemma and Mehmet Karatay
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Please note that if you have competed in three orienteering events and not joined an orienteering club that is a member of British Orienteering then you are not covered by our public liability insurance.
You have the option of downloading and completing this Medical form. It could be life saving if the organisers are aware of any existing medical conditions in the event of an incident. You can leave it at registration/enquires in a sealed envelope that will only be opened if required and destroyed after the event.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.