WOLF - Auchernack & Balliefurth
Middle Distance & VHI relay
An excellent area close to Grantown-on-Spey giving an exciting morning of orienteering and spectating. NB: if you're looking for information on the VHI Relay you're in the wrong place - go to the VHI Bulletins here.
Sat 23rd Sep 2017
Type of event: District Race-(C)
Type of terrain: Forest, Woodland
Info updated: 11th Jul
Pre Event Info
The 2017 WOLF will get off to a unique & exciting start at Auchernack & Balliefurth. Just after 10:00, the Veteran Home International relay will take place - please come and support your team! Shortly after midday we then offer an exciting mass start race open to all-comers using the same area.
- Nearest town: Grantown-on-Spey
- Grid Ref: NJ025252
- Lat/Lon: 57.30779,-3.61907
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
The parking field will be a short walk from Registration.
Registration, Start & Finish
Registration will be a short walk from the Start & Finish.
Registration from 10:00 - 11:30
Mass starts at 12:00 & 12:10
Courses close 13:30.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Enter all 2017 WOLF events via SIEntries.
|Entry Type||Fee (£)|
|Adult member of British Orienteering / SOA Club||8|
|Junior member of British Orientering / SOA Club||5|
There will be no charge for hire of SI cards.
Auchernack & Balliefurth is a narrow area bounded by the River Spey to the west and the B970 to the east. There is excellent contour detail with birch woodland and open areas. Scale 1:7,500, contour Interval 5m, minor revisions Aug 2017. Map preview available here.
Portaloos will be available.
Contacts / Officials
Planner - Jess Tullie
Controller - Steve Nicholson FVO
Organiser - James Tullie
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Please note that if you have competed in three orienteering events and not joined an orienteering club that is a member of British Orienteering then you are not covered by our public liability insurance.
You have the option of downloading and completing this Medical form. It could be life saving if the organisers are aware of any existing medical conditions in the event of an incident. You can leave it at registration/enquires in a sealed envelope that will only be opened if required and destroyed after the event.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.