WOLF - Aviemore
Urban Sprint, BTO SOUL 8
Mapping Aviemore has been a major project for BASOC over the last 3 years. We are delighted with the new map which will be used for the first time at this event.
Sat 23rd Sep 2017
Type of event: District Race-(C), Sprint, Urban
Type of terrain: Urban
Info updated: 11th Jul
Pre Event Info
Come to sample the brand new map at this popular event, with the usual warm WOLF welcome!
- Nearest town: Aviemore
- Grid Ref: NH899136
- Postcode: PH22 1PB
- Lat/Lon: 57.20047,-3.82261
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be available near to Dalfaber Country Club.
Registration, Start & Finish
Registration, Start & Finish will all be located at the Dalfaber Country Club.
Registration from 14:30 - 16:00
Starts from 15:00 - 16:30
Courses close 17:30
|4||M/W 16- & Adult Beginner||2.1|
NB: M/W16s that have not had their 16th birthday prior to the event must enter course 4 due to British Orienteering regulations regarding athlete safety in urban areas. If they are 16 they can enter the Open class, course 1.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Please enter all WOLF events via SIEntries.
|Entry Type||Fee (£)|
|Adult member of British Orienteering / SOA Club||8|
|Junior member of British Orientering / SOA Club||5|
|Adult on course 4 or 5||As per junior entry|
There will be no charge for the hire of SI cards.
Aviemore offers classic Scottish modern urban environment mixed with more unusual open areas, scattered birch woodlands, parkland and golf course. There is negligible climb across the area. The map is new - GGMaps 2016.
Indoor facilties with toilets & catering.
Contacts / Officials
Planner - Alison Campbell
Controller - Alan Halliday MOR
Organiser - Jo Cumming
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Please note that if you have competed in three orienteering events and not joined an orienteering club that is a member of British Orienteering then you are not covered by our public liability insurance.
You have the option of downloading and completing this Medical form. It could be life saving if the organisers are aware of any existing medical conditions in the event of an incident. You can leave it at registration/enquires in a sealed envelope that will only be opened if required and destroyed after the event.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.