BASOC eNews mid-May 2021
Things are becoming more definite regarding events. Scottish Orienteering have also issued revised guidance about things we can now do.
1. Events coming up
- Masterplan Adventure Sprint Races: 29th May: MacRosty Park Crieff & Bannockburn West. Entries are now open to non-elites, you are placed on a waiting list.
- Scottish Junior Cup Round 1: 30th May: Auchingarrich, Comrie; entry now open to all up to an entry limit of 190 for this event (at the request of the landowner). Short / Medium / Long courses available for Seniors (i.e. all who are not a Junior).
- BASOC Local event: 5th June: Windy Ridge. An event on your doorstep, you could even cycle to it! Entries close Sunday 30th May 2021.
- Scottish Champs / ESOC National Event: 13th June: Craig a Barns Dunkeld: (NOTE: if all of Scotland is not in at least L1 then this will go ahead as an event, just not the Scottish Champs). Further details about this event are on the Scottish Orienteering website and also the ESOC website; these websites will be updated regularly so keep looking on them. Pre-entry only through SIEntries. Note that there will be a very short entry window, including a relatively early closing date of 31st May – so keep an eye on this!
- MOR event: 19th June: Culbin (cycle into the Start area, using a bit of the forest not often run in).
- MOR MTBO weekend: 25th / 26th / 27th June: Anagach / Culbin / Altyre / Darnaway: SIEntries open, 80 limit per event. Although this is a Championship series of events, do not be intimidated as all are welcome to enter.
- Lochaber 2021: 1st – 7th August: From the 6days website “Because of these remaining uncertainties we’re going to make a “GO/NO-GO” decision at the end of May. Beyond that date we need a high degree of certainty that the event won’t be cancelled to avoid being too exposed financially. Until then, like you, we’ll be keeping our fingers crossed that everything continues to move in the right direction.” Final decision about the event will come at the end of May. At the moment there are 1949 entries with a probable limit of 2000.
While in Scotland there are limits to the numbers at events (Level 2 = 500, Level 1 = 1000 per day) there are no limits in England. The British Middle Champs, 5th June, Lakes = 1202 entries and the Northern Champs, 6th June, Lakes = 1568!
2. Updated BASOC calendar / spreadsheet
Download the calendar (excel spreadsheet) it shows all the known events / training at the moment. You can easily personalise it if you want to!
3. MapRun and 5km runs
A reminder to all that we have several MapRun courses available (more to come by the end of June) and some 5km 'Run with a map' and that these are on the BASOC website.
4. Scottish Orienteering L2 Guidance
Scottish Orienteering published the latest guidance document which is effective from Monday 17th May.
5. Scottish Orienteering AGM
This will take place via Zoom on Friday 25th June 2021. Registration for the AGM, AGM papers and voting details are now out. Scottish Orienteering is a membership organisation - it is up to you to have your say!
6. Scottish Orienteering Community Conversation.
The next Community Conversation will take place on Monday 27th May at 7:30pm via Zoom. The topic is “How inclusive is our sport?”
7. One day First Aid course
Scottish Orienteering have advertised a subsidised one day First Aid course, cost £50. This is primarily aimed at coaches in the North Area clubs. It is mixture of online learning (self guided as well as tutor led) and a face to face session (16th June in Nairn). Last date for registration is 9th June 2021.