Welcome to 2018
I am sure that you are all looking forward to competing in lovely forests and taking part in BASOC training to prepare you for competition. There is lots to tell you about, so please read on and make sure you put dates in diary etc.
1. First up, there is a BASOC colour-coded event at Loch Vaa, Boat of Garten on Sunday 11th February. Gemma is planning and organising ; it would really help if you pre-enter by 5th February so that Gemma can get an idea of map orders. Also, some help on the day is required (you will still get a run), please contact Gemma if you can help. All the details are here.
2. For February Tuesday = O (6th, 13th, 20th & 27th) we are meeting in Kincraig Community Hall 6:30pm to 7:30pm for Strength & Conditioning sessions, run by Mehmet Karatay. These sessions will help you with your movement over orienteering terrain and are suitable for anyone as you work at your own level. All details are on the BASOC website, Strength & Conditioning session: number 1
3. Coming up are many opportunities to run for BASOC; this might sound a bit intimidating! BASOC welcomes anyone who is willing to participate, we aim to enjoy this rather than take the medals. Ann McGougan has volunteered to be club captain and co-ordinate the BASOC participation in:
- CompassSport Cup & Trophy, 11th March at Beecraigs near to Bathgate.
- British Relay Champs, 20th May, near to Ballater
- Scottish Relay Champs, 27th May, Roseisle near to Forres
- Jamie Stevenson Trophy for juniors, 17th June , somewhere in the Central belt (probably).
As you can see, it is a busy spring / early summer, expect Ann to be talking with you about these events.
Over Easter weekend there is the JK orienteering festival, based at Stafford. At the moment Alison Campbell is the only BASOC member entered. Anyone else going and interested in forming a relay team?
4. BASOC events. BASOC are organising the following events and will be requesting help from club members to ensure the smooth running of the whole event. Please put the dates into your diary.
- Moray & Highland Junior Champs: Sunday 9th June, location TBA, probably in the Strathspey part of the area.
- WOLF SOL: Sunday 23rd September, location TBA, probably in the Badenoch part of our area.
5. Scottish Orienteering are carrying out a survey and would appreciate all members giving their views. There is an online survey, please do take the time to complete it as soon as you can so your voice is heard. What can Scottish Orienteering do for you questionnaire
6. As the snow falls outside, do you think of flowing through warm sunlit forests? Gemma & Mehmet are going to the OOCup in the area between Lyon & Geneva at the end of July this year. Would anyone like to join them, sharing accommodation and transport to the events? Please indicate your interest to Gemma by the end of February 2018. Further details at www.oocup.com
7. Due to unforeseen circumstances, James and Jess Tullie have stepped down from their BASOC committee roles. With the support of the elected committee, I have taken over as chair.
First of all, on behalf of the club members I would like to thank James & Jess for everything they have given to BASOC over the past 5+ years; their contributions developed the club in a very positive way.
Second, thank you to the committee for their support and commitment during what will be a year of transition for BASOC.
The 2018 committee met for the first time last night; I was impressed by the willingness of all the committee to give volunteer time to help BASOC this year. There will be changes and additions to the 'Contacts' page of the website in the near future, check there soon to find out who is responsible for what.
The committee can carry out some of the volunteer tasks and form the strategy of the club; they cannot and should not do everything. We are a membership organisation so expect someone to approach you asking "What can you do for BASOC? How much time could you give to do a volunteer task for BASOC?" It does not matter how little (or how much you can give) it all helps the club to function; you might have specific skills or you might wish to be part of a team and guided by a more experienced club member.
Thank you for reading all of this; loads more news so expect another BASOC email in a couple of weeks. Have you renewed your membership for 2018, if not Jane will be contacting you!