eNews, June 2018
It is all most the end of June, school is out and we are all enjoying the hot and sunny weather (yes it is hot & sunny in Denmark as well). This eNews has been a bit delayed as we had virtually no internet signal for a few days.
Happenings in June
1. Jamie Stevenson trophy. A small group of BASOC juniors headed over the hill to Braemar for this. I have no idea of results but the day would not have happened without BASOC input - Jane Cox organising, Hilary Quick controlling and Anna Cox piping for the parade of clubs.
2. Coaching Foundation course. This was held over 4 x Tuesday evenings and BASOC now has more people who are confident to take on a role at Tuesday=O. Remember that you will be supported to do this and great to hear that Izzy Cox has led the way!
Looking forward to July and beyond
3. Tuesday=O enters summer holiday mode now. Controls will be out on Loch Vaa SE. All details are on the website.
August 14th to 28th is being planned by Callum Scott; details will appear on the BASOC website.
4. Keep an eye on the Moravian and INVOC websites for their events during the summer.
5. Jane Pottie is getting married in July and invites as many BASOC as possibles to join in ParkRun at Aviemore. Reply to Jane Pottie.
"On Saturday 14th July I’m getting married but before then, to calm my nerves, I will be running Aviemore parkrun! I would love it if the BASOC “family” were able to join me :)
If you haven’t been caught by the parkrun bug now is the time - sign up on their website - it’s totally free and hope to see you all there!"
6. Remember the BASOC SOL on September 23rd at Dunachtonmore (Highland Wildlife Park) with coaching available the previous afternoon.
7. The Junior InterArea competition (North, East, West Scotland) is being held on the weekend of 27th (relay at Forres) and 28th October (SOL at Roseisle). Juniors - put this weekend in your diary now!
8. The Grampian Mountain Challenge is back for 2018. Gramp are once again organising the GMC on 10/11 November 2018. The event is a Mountain Marathon mixed with Orienteering and will be run over two days in the hills and woods near Braemar. If folks want more information they can visit the Gramp website. Entries are now open via SiEntries.
Summer holiday events and training camps
9. BASOC juniors are taking part in the ScotJOS training camp in Sweden - looking forward to a teport about this!
10. Lynne is currently in Denmark, about to take part in the World Masters Orienteering Champs. The Zealand Champs (start of June) were held in runnable beech forests - I needed to practise as my result showed!
11. The OO Cup is in France at the end of July. Gemma, Mehmet, Hilary & Callum Scott will all be there - again a report would be great.
12. Also at the end of July is the Lakes 5 Days; I think some BASOC are heading that way? If so then please write something about it.
13. Anna Cox has been selected for the Junior Training Camp at Lagganlia in August, well done!
14. Jess has also been selected for the World Champs in Latvia in August, BASOC wish her successful runs in the competitions.
Other club news
15. For the past few years, BASOC have held a WOLF weekend in th autumn. This has been a middle distance race, a sprint, sometimes a ceilidh a SOL on the Sunday. This year - 2018 - there is ‘WOLF light’ with training available on the Saturday afternoon and a SOL on the Sunday. There will be no WOLF in 2019 as we were too late to apply for a suitable date for it (only April = too early, potential snow and June = too late because of bracken growth as our only available area at that time is a newly mapped area near Newtonmore). The autumn dates had all gone and we tried a swop with the holder of the May date which did not happen. So the decision has been taken to make WOLF bi-ennial, it will happen in even numbered years with a full WOLF next happening in 2020.
The club will concentrate on local development and local events in the odd numbered years.
16. We are still in the look out for a club store or a space to place a garden shed that is about 2m by 2.5m. If you know of anywhere for either please contact Lynne.
I think that is all for June eNews. Enjoy the summer, whether you are orienteering locally or far away.