eNews, December 2018
As usual, life in the orienteering world continues at a pace with BASOC club champs, a new BASOC committee, the start of the Northern Night Cup and dry, warm indoor Tuesday=O sessions!
1. The BASOC AGM was held in Newtonmore Village Hall in Sunday 2nd December 2018. The minutes of the AGM will shortly be available on the website. Meanwhile, the following were elected to the committee for December 2018 to December 2019:
Chair: Gemma Karatay
Secretary: Jane Cox
Treasurer: Peter Lamb with Mehmet Karatay assisting / taking over during the year
Junior rep: Izzy Cox
Committee members: Jo Cumming, Issie Inglis, Clare Kemsley, Ann McGougan, Hilary Quick and Callum Scott.
Thank you to the above committee members for the time they give to help BASOC run; there are also many other volunteers who take on a role which helps BASOC to work well as a club.
As outgoing chair, Lynne would like to take this opportunity to thank the 2018 committee for all their support during the year and the basket of food they presented her with at the AGM.
2. Lesley Gorman and Gemma Karatay also planned the club champs which took the form of a handicapped score event around Newtonmore South. With a unique handicap system (suspect much muttering over a dark brew?) Paul Frost was declared BASOC Club Champion 2018 - well done Paul, and his reward is to plan the 2019 BASOC Club Champs!
3. The Northern Night Cup series has started! Johannes was planner / organiser / fire lighter for NNC1 at Craig Leach , west of Inverness. This event delivered technical orienteering and was a challenge for many BASOC - but at least the evening was dry! Have you put your route up on RouteGadget yet - or looked at where others went? Please do, you can for example get much entertainment value from where Lynne went - and she forgot to punch the start so no result of 1+ hours staggering around Craig Leach! (I actually have been able to retrieve splits for all controls except Start to #1).
Is your entry in yet for NNC2 at Loch Vaa N, planned and organised by Kat (McG) and Izzy (C)? You can enter here but please do so as soon as possible so we get the map order as accurate as possible.
Even if you do not want to run, why not come along the Boat of Garten Community Hall and help to serve soup and socialise?
4. While the NNC goes on, Tuesday=O is being held indoors in the meeting room within Aviemore Primary School; meeting time is 6pm to 7pm. All details of sessions are on the BASOC website.
There will also be outdoor Tuesday=O on Tuesday 25th December (Santa Special) and Tuesday 1st January (New Year Special); note that this will be in daylight with a start time of 12:30pm. All details can be found on the Events page of the BASOC website.
5. If you need another orienteering 'fix' over the festive time, Moravian have an event on Wednesday 2nd January. Although advertised as 'sprint', remember that this can often be 'sprint for the mind rather than the legs'. More details are on the Moravian website.